Well, it’s finally Autumn now! I’ve also finally finished writing up this recipe, which I know a few of you have eagerly been waiting for. So here it is! I especially love cooking and baking with seasonal food, and this recipe is a new favourite to include two lovely Autumn foods: apples & pumpkin seeds!
Fun fact: the Hungarian word for apple is alma, and pumpkin seed is tökmag. And tökmag is a common pet-name for little kids. So you’re referring to them as a little “pumpkin seed”. Isn’t that pretty much the cutest thing you’ve ever heard!?
Anyways. On to the recipe. I hope you enjoy it! My own little tökmag‘s certainly did.
- 8 medium-sized apples peeled, cored, and chopped
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 3 tablespoons raw honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of ground clove
- 1 & ½ cups rolled oats
- ¾ cup of raw or roasted pumpkin seeds (can also substitute with chopped nuts of choice)
- 6 tablespoons of butter or coconut oil, melted
- 8 tablespoons or raw honey or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- dash of nutmeg, cinnamon, & himalayan salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F or 175°C.
- Grease a square baking dish with coconut oil or butter, or line with baking parchment.
- For the first layer, toss the apples, lemon juice, raw honey or maple syrup, water, cinnamon and clove together in a bowl, mixing and coating the apple chunks thoroughly. Then spread evenly in the bottom of the greased baking dish.
- For the second layer, mix the oats, pumpkin seeds, coconut oil or butter, raw honey or maple syrup, vanilla extract, and a dash each of cinnamon, nutmeg, and himalayan salt together. Stir until well combined.
- Spread oat and pumpkin seed mixture over the apple mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden coloured.
- Delicious served hot or cold!