Vegan, Vegetarian, & Gluten-Free
This is one of my all-time favourite soup recipes! Leeks are just a gorgeous plant, and so fun to cook with. The flavour they have once they cook down is absolutely delicious, but combined with the tomatoes and seasoned with plenty of thyme, himalayan salt, and pepper… It’s just phenomenal! And the sweet potatoes and lentils are so filling too. Just makes for an all around great dish, one that even my toddler loves. Give it a try!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 4 leeks
- 5-6 fresh, chopped tomatoes, or, 2 (14 oz) cans of diced tomatoes
- 2-3 sweet potatoes
- ½-1 cup brown or green lentils, uncooked
- 1-2 tablespoon dried thyme
- himalayan salt & black pepper, to taste
- Peel and cube sweet potatoes.
- Chop ends off leeks, and cut into ¼ inch thick half-moon shapes.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the leeks and cook, stirring occasionally until they soften, about 3-4 minutes later.
- Add the tomatoes and cook, breaking them up with a spoon, for about 5 minutes.
- Add 6-8 cups water, depending on how thick or thin you desire your soup to be.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir in the sweet potatoes and lentils.
- Add thyme, himalayan salt, and black pepper, to taste.
- Turn down heat, and simmer until the lentils are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.